BOD Minutes – May 20, 2019

Marymoor Trails
Homeowners Association

Board of Directors Meeting
May 20, 2019

The Marymoor Trails Board of Directors meeting convened 6:30PM on May 20, 2019, at the residence of Linda O’Hara, #133.  Attending:  Michael Niksa, President; Josh Gibson, Treasurer; Van Chesnutt, Landscape; Linda O’Hara, Secretary; and Tim Hollingshead, Morris Management.

Meetings are at a new time starting September 16, 2019.   New time: 10:00-11:30AM.

Homeowners Forum — There were no residents for Homeowners Forum.

Treasurer’s Report

  • Association balances end of April:  Checking $55,599.41; reserves $211,735.97.  This is an increase of $21,000 over last month and up $67,000 over last year.  This positive trend will be adjusted downward when our $38,000 annual insurance hits.
  • Josh reviewed payment variances in several areas, especially insurance.  Tim explained that although we budget annually, we pay it in May for a full year ahead.  New amount is under our budgeted amount of $38,000.
  • Reserve transfer signed to cover TYCO Bldg G work, as detailed in earlier notes.
  • The annual Reserve Study is finalized.  We will use this in October for new budgets.
  • Painting end of May will be a major expense, but much less than budgeted.
  • Borrowing Amendment has been notarized and will be filed with King County.

Maintenance Report

  • B-108 monitoring ongoing; nothing to report.
  • Michael did the annual walk around with Handyman Gene and compiled a comprehensive list.
    • Currently Gene is working on roofs: check chimneys, use leaf blowers and moss killer, and generally inspect.  This work can only be done when it is dry.   
    • Next major phase of handyman work will be divider walls, fence pieces, garage doors, and siding in assorted areas especially high sun areas. 
  • Wood decks – The price of Trex – a composite wood alternative — is now not that much more expensive than wood.  No painting, minimal maintenance. Our labor cost to rebuild a deck is the same whether replacing with wood or Trex.  We will still use wood for small repairs but will investigate cost-effectiveness of replacing entire deck surface with Trex for extensive jobs.
  • Building vents — Last year Gene installed additional vents in sides of buildings.  Number per building by original builder is very inconsistent – some buildings have none, some have many.  Recommended we add more every year as affordable, to improve air flow, remove humidity and reduce heat accumulation.  We plan this for a late summer project and will defer to next year if the maintenance budget is low.
  • Soffits/siding Bldg E – Brown spots on soffit vents; inside the window frame blinds are covered with brown.  Vaulted ceiling also has drip spot.  Handyman Gene and Sound Roofing have inspected.  We have engaged Jehan Bharucha from Improcon to oversee this.  We don’t know what’s going on, under investigation. 
  • Soffit/siding Bldg I — Hole in siding where birds appear to be nesting.  Gene has been notified and will repair the hole.
  • Fire alarm pull-handle covers on many buildings are yellowed or cracked. If we have Tyco replace, it will cost hundreds of dollars.  Board proposes we order online and replace the cap ourselves since it is held on by two screws and involves no wiring. Michael will follow up.

Landscape Report

  • City-mandated storm drain work is expected to be completed by the first week in June.  Building-related drain work will be done around Bldg I in next 2-3 weeks. Drainage work around Bldg L is delayed to July – when the area is thoroughly dried out.
  • Sprinklers will be turned on 6/10/2019.  Premiere Landscaping took over responsibility for sprinklers from us; they are monitoring.
  • Van has received a proposal from Premiere Landscape to for $1239 to repair sprinklers, replace broken pop ups, and relocate some sprinklers for improved water coverage.  Optional sprinkler upgrades are also being considered  Van will find out why pressure washing of decks, walkways and little concrete patios has not been completed yet. 
  • A Reported leak in M-150 was addressed very quickly by repairmen.
  • Van will try using Big Tree for replacement of a tree in planter between Bldgs I-J.  This tree was damaged in winter storms and had to be removed.  Big Tree specializes in larger trees for reasonable prices.

Next meeting:  Monday June 17, 2019 @ Linda O’Hara’s Unit #133