Board of Directors Meeting
July 20, 2020
The Marymoor Trails Board of Directors meeting convened on July 20, 2020 at 10:03AM via Skype. Attending: Michael Niksa, President; Josh Gibson, Treasurer; Van Chesnutt, Landscape; Jerimiah Willhite, Special Projects; Linda O’Hara, Secretary; and Tim Hollingshead, Morris Management.
A homeowner wanted to participate, and we did not get the Skype information to her in time. We regret this and extend our apologies.
Homeowner in Bldg. M has a skylight issue. A crack has formed around the skylight and black powder is coming down. Photos were submitted to the Board. Bldg. M drone survey doesn’t really show any wear on the shingles, so it could be another issue. Tim will have Jehan look at it and report back.
Homeowner inquired about rental cap. To preserve the value of our property, the Board will keep rental cap at 15%.
We have a decent amount of money, but not enough for major work that lies ahead. Unusually high fire expenses in June reflect missing invoices from TYCO in March that needed to be paid. This was early in the coronavirus shutdown – were invoices not being sent out, or the mail not being delivered? Morris Management is seeing items from that time period for various associations. Reserve account (savings) is $316,988.89, Operating account (checking) is $31,150.92, the combined total up $95,000 from last year.
Gene and his crew have completed many projects:
- Pressure washing decks is done.
- Elastomeric decks inspections are done; decks were recoated as necessary.
- Moss was removed from some driveway/curb areas.
- Elastomeric deck on Unit M-149 has been rebuilt at a cost of $16,000 with a custom-made beam, correcting work done incorrectly many years ago.
- PSE replaced all remaining analog meter boxes with new digital meters, and the boxes will be re-sealed this summer.
- One deck in Bldg. C has been replaced with Trex; Gene and his crew have been seen working on another deck in Bldg. C. Seven decks were scheduled to be topped with Trex this year.
- Other odds and ends items completed include chimney inspections and sealing, some siding replacements/repairs, filling holes from woodpeckers, fixing broken garage door panels, etc.
- There is a drainage issue by Unit M-150, that Van will discuss with Bodine. Van has been having a hard time getting Bodine to come out during the CV shutdown. They were supposed to come out in July; Van will follow up with them.
- Walkway in front of Unit K-142 is noticeably sunken at the end where it intersects the driveway. It forms a large icy patch in winter. Van will do a walk by.
- Van reports that a tree that was trimmed by Davey Tree behind Bldg. J looks awful. The residents reported it, and Van agrees with them. Van has bids and has authorized the tree to be removed and replaced in the next two or three weeks.
- The landscapers have not yet replaced the dying rhododendron behind Bldg. H, facing Old Redmond Road. Resident had requested replacement, and this is overdue. Van will follow up with the landscapers to see what the issue is.
- A homeowner says he saves money on his rental properties by only having the lawns mowed every other week; recommends we cut expenses at Marymoor Trails by mowing every other week. We will keep the frequency as is – mowing is seasonal, in summer every week, but in off season goes weeks at a time. We have already reduced our landscaping expenses from $30,000 to $20,000 per year in switching our landscaping contract in the last few years.
Special projects are all on hold due to coronavirus shutdown and planning for major maintenance. Jerimiah will work with Michael on anything that arises.
Old Business – Roof Issues
Materials regarding our roof warranty have been sent to an attorney for review and evaluation. Jehan will consult with the attorney on our behalf to determine if it is cost-effective to pursue a settlement from the installer or supplier.
The Board has authorized Jehan Bharucha, our project manager, to do $10,000 of immediate roof repair to avoid water damage this winter. Jehan is obtaining estimates on complete roof replacement to ballpark project costs and will report back to the Board with a timeline and cost estimates.
There is no meeting in August. The next regularly scheduled meeting is Monday September 21, 2020 at 10:00AM via Skype.